Humana Health Insurance For Addiction Treatment
In This Article
Does Humana Cover Rehab for Drugs and Alcohol?
Most Humana health insurance plans offer substance abuse treatment. Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), insurance companies must provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment coverage. This also includes other behavioral and mental health services.
The level of Humana insurance coverage varies by plan. Plans cover both inpatient and outpatient programs.
What Rehab Services Does Humana Insurance Cover?
Humana Insurance offers coverage for a variety of rehabilitation services, including:
- Access to participating providers
- Treatment coordination
- Customer advocacy
- Assistance with questions and concerns
- Case management for cases that require frequent or ongoing assistance
- 24/7 help available
People with Humana insurance plans enjoy confidential service based on state and federal requirements.
Coverage of drug and alcohol rehab services vary based on:
- Individual plan details
- Legal requirement
- Type of treatment
Additionally, Humana health insurance also offers customers the opportunity to purchase a separate substance abuse coverage plan if their existing plan falls short.
Services must be medically necessary to qualify for Humana insurance coverage. These services might include:
Inpatient treatment allows participants to focus on recovery fully. They live onsite at the treatment facility and receive around-the-clock supervision.
The amount of inpatient coverage Humana provides varies by plan. The location of the treatment facility also plays a role, although participants may not be limited to facilities within their state of residence.
Humana requires substance abuse treatment facilities to be in-network, not private or luxury.
Most Humana coverage plans require a copay and the meeting of a deductible obligation before insurance starts paying.
The amount of coverage for outpatient treatment varies based on the plan, among other factors.
Like with inpatient treatment, Humana only provides coverage for services offered by in-network providers. Policyholders must also pay their copay and meet their deductible obligations before Humana pays its portion.
Humana assists with finding an in-network care provider.
Humana covers the costs of prescription medications for addiction according to the policy specifics for generic/brand name and co-pays. This includes medications for managing detox symptoms and others for maintenance.
Paying for Uncovered Rehab Costs
Paying for drug and alcohol addiction treatment is challenging, even with insurance coverage. Chances are, even with a comprehensive plan, you’ll pay for a portion of your care.
If meeting deductible obligations or paying copays is a problem, you might consider:
- Seeking financial assistance from a bank, other lending institutions, or close family members and/or friends
- Purchasing supplementary health insurance
- Seeking federal, state, and/or government assistance
- Selling property and/or possessions
- Using a credit card
- Utilizing flexible payment plans offered by your addiction treatment facility
- Scholarships or grants offered by alcohol or drug rehab centers
Humana Behavioral Health: Addiction Services
Humana Insurance offers a subsidiary program focused specifically on addiction treatment and mental health services.
Contact Humana’s customer service line to discuss coverage and behavioral health benefits. They can provide information and assistance on choosing the appropriate services and treatment providers.
In addition to addiction treatment, Humana Behavioral Health provides care for:
- Bipolar disorder
- And more
Assistance is available by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Humana Behavioral Health is an accredited behavioral-based solutions program that offers:
Access to In-Network Behavioral Health Professionals
This includes hospitals, mental health, and drug and alcohol rehab providers in the Humana insurance network.
Humana insurance advocates act on your behalf with this support network. Alongside your physicians, advocates monitor your progress in drug and alcohol rehab.
Customer Support and Assistance
Your Humana health insurance provider is available when you have questions or concerns about behavioral health issues.
Some Humana customers are eligible for optional case management services. This applies to those who have had multiple hospitalizations and ongoing behavioral health issues.
Humana clinicians who are trained in behavioral health care provide case management services. These services help improve overall well-being.
Call to find out how much your insurance will cover
- “Behavioral Health Benefits Program.” Humana Behavioral Health.
- “Humana for Healthcare Providers.” Humana.
- “Individual and Family Health Insurance Products - Humana Agents.” Humana.
- French, Michael T., et al. “Benefit-Cost Analysis of Addiction Treatment: Methodological Guidelines and Empirical Application Using the DATCAP and ASI.” Health Services Research, vol. 37, no. 2, Apr. 2002, pp. 433–455.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. “How Effective Is Drug Addiction Treatment?” 3 Jun. 2020.
- “Humana Medicare Plans.” Humana.